Our client, a household Skate Brand with major distribution, has a designer opportunity on their team. They are looking for a trend forward, designer with mens/boys experience and a passion for skate/street trends.
This position is responsible for supporting the design team in all aspects of creating and executing the seasonal collection (from concept to final proto samples) as well as any special projects. Develop seasonal product concepts based on trend, competitive research and overall creative direction for the client signature apparel brand. This position will require some travel and will work closely with the Senior Designer while working inside Kohls.
· Assists the designer in creating styles from concept to completion in whatever capacity is necessary.
· Design, recreate, manipulate and recolor prints using Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator
· Generates computer sketches and correct pattern, colors, graphics and trims.
· Manages communications between design function and non-design team members such as Tech and Pre-production.
· Assist in executing concepts with the designer utilizing critical attention to detail and a sense of urgency to meet all department deadlines.
· Monitor development of preproduction samples in partnership with Product Manager
· Prepare for meetings, organize programs and communicate style info to partners and the product development team.
· Works hand in hand with Production Management team and Designers to monitor lab dip and hand loom.
· Ensure tracking of all samples as well as sample rack management/organization.
· Sketching and editing cad boards as requested.
· Helping with proto packages; detail sketches and stitching instructions.
· Support the Designer in measuring and commenting on development samples/production samples.
· Collaborate with the team to develop and merchandise a cohesive assortment for all size ranges, genders, brands, and specified number of seasonal deliveries
· Research, interpret, and apply market trends appropriate to the brand.
· Thoroughly shop and understand the mass market consumer, competitive landscape, and trend direction at this tier
· Build consistency throughout each category to ensure a clear message is delivered while continuing to grow the line as an authentic, Skate Brand.
· Deliver recommendations regarding seasonal themes, edits to the line, as well as bringing in new concepts.
· Provide vision for the assortment; silhouette, color, print/pattern, fabric, and trim selection
· Problem solve costing issues with suppliers or any third party consultant to meet margin requirements for our partners
· Research global markets in order to identify new trends, fabrics, techniques, etc
· Contribute to and participate in seasonal product presentations.
· Create sketches and develop accurate and technically viable design tech packs.
· Develop and maintain strong partnerships with internal and external partners.
· Execute within the seasonal calendar.
· Highly developed sense of creativity for color, pattern, fabric, silhouettes, and trends.
· Strong presentation skills
· Technical proficiency in garment construction and fit execution
· Strong critical thinking and exercise swift problem solving skills
· Demonstrate strong verbal, organization and written communication skills
· Meticulous attention to detail and follow through in execution.
· Strong team player who can also work independently and in a fast paced environment
· A positive, outgoing, high energy personality that is entrepreneurial
· A multi-tasker; proactively seeks out opportunities to support the team with a can-do and follow- through attitude
· Young men’s and Active Wear Experience/Knowledge a must
· Apparel or fashion degree or equivalent experience
· Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Excel and Mac.
· 1-5 years design experience.